Why learn and do lesson study
Lesson study is a school-based professional learning activity of teachers that involves collaborative development, implementation, analysis of the lesson (called a research lesson) and reflection as a means to learn and improve their teaching practice. It is about teachers taking charge of their own professional development.
Engaging in lesson study create opportunities for teachers to develop the following professional competencies of proficient and distinguished teacher as described in the Philippine Professional Standards for Teachers.
- Highly Proficient Teachers consistently display a high level of performance in their teaching practice.
- They manifest an in-depth and sophisticated understanding of the teaching and learning process.
- They have high education-focused situation cognition, are more adept in problem solving and optimize
opportunities gained from experience.
- They provide support and mentoring to colleagues in their professional development, as well as work
collaboratively with them to enhance the learning and practice potential of their colleagues.
- They continually seek to develop their professional knowledge and practice by reflecting on their own needs, and those of their colleagues and students.
- Distinguished Teachers embody the highest standard for teaching grounded in global best practices.
- They exhibit exceptional capacity to improve their own teaching practice and that of others.
- They are recognized as leaders in education, contributors to the profession and initiators of collaborations and partnerships.
- They create lifelong impact in the lives of colleagues, students and others.
- They consistently seek professional advancement and relevance in pursuit of teaching quality and excellence.
- They exhibit commitment to inspire the education community and stakeholders for the improvement of education provision in the Philippines.
Philippine Professional Standards for Teachers (http://www.deped.gov.ph/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/DO_s2017_042-1.pdf)
Participate in the 1st National Convention on Lesson Study to learn more about this exciting school-based professional learning activity of teachers. Lesson study in higher education institution is also gaining ground.
I want to be there…
You are most welcome.
I attended this convention and I would like to try lesson study as a faculty development strategy/program in our department. However, I would like to be cautious in its implementation, and plan to do this in stages. I am thinking of doing a readiness assessment first. Has anyone developed an instrument or methodology for determining the readiness of a certain group of teacher-educators for lesson study? BTW, I am teaching in our tertiary programs (engineering, technology, architecture and entrep).